Some personal data information is essential to [Autoweb Customer] functioning and our supplying a service to you. If you do not wish to allow us to process your data then you will not be able to use our services.
Useful contact details and a summary of the control you have over your personal data can be found at the end of this policy.
In processing personal data, we will comply with relevant legislation in force from time to time in the UK. We may change this policy, without notice from time to time by updating this policy as we improve our service to you and as relevant Data Protection legislation comes into force. Your personal information will continue to be held in accordance with our policy as it develops. We will not reduce your rights under this policy without your explicit consent.
Legal Basis for Processing
We gather data on two groups,
- the non-registered viewer of our website in which our services are described (“Viewer”),
- those making enquiries for test drives and for other information (“Enquirers”) I our Customers applying for finance or other applications (“Customers”)
- Where you are merely a Viewer we will normally only gather data indirectly but might also do so directly if you i) request further information from use ii) engage with us on social media as examples.
- Where you are our Enquirers or Customers we will gather data indirectly and directly.
We are required to process your personal data in a lawful, fair and transparent manner.
Contract – where you are Customers inquiring about obtaining finance or entering into a contract with us in, or during the process of registering with us, we process data necessary to answer your enquiry and process your account in order to provide you with these services. Our service may include being in contact with you as follow up even after your initial question has been answered, to maintain your registration with us including carrying out verification checks.
Legitimate Activities – where we are required to store or use information for legal purposes, for example where you are requesting a test drive or we are following up a vehicle purchase with MOT reminders or you have been a Customer for contractual purposes as above, we do so as part of our legitimate activities as a lawful business.
Data Controller and Processor
[Autoweb Customer] makes the decisions concerning how personal data through [Autoweb Customer] is processed. Accordingly we are the Data Controller for your personal information. Therefore we should be your first point of contact.
[Autoweb Customer] uses a third party, Autoweb.co.uk Ltd, to help power its website and Customer contact management system. This provides you with an improved service and better user experience. They process your personal information as set out in this policy and they do so under our direction. Accordingly they act as a Data Processor. Should you have any concerns about this please do not hesitate to contact us.
[Autoweb Customer]’s Website Anonymous Tracking
Some personal data may be processed by us when you are merely browsing [Autoweb Customer].
You can choose to accept or decline cookies from our website.
A cookie is a small file which is placed on your device when you visit a website. The file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies help us provide you with a better website by tailoring the website operations to your needs and to respond to you as an individual user such as identifying which pages you find useful and which you do not. Such a cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and does not identify you individually.
Merely by browsing our website, [Autoweb Customer] tracks your use so that we can offer you a better user experience relating to your navigation habits. This helps us analyse data about social media traffic and improve [Autoweb Customer] in order to tailor it to the needs of our customers.
Website Tracking Technology
Our website uses tracking technology to help us to analyse user behaviour.
Google Analytics is an example of this technology. It is an analysis service by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043, USA. Google Analytics allows us to analyse the use of our website application usage.
The information about your visit collected by Google Analytics is usually transferred to a Google server in the USA and saved there. Google will use the information collected on behalf of the application operator to evaluate the users' use of the application, to compile reports about the users' activities within this application, and to provide further services for the application operator related to the use of the application.
You can find more information about what data can be collected via Google Analytics at https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en
By using the website, the user explicitly consents that his or her information is collected via Google Analytics.
What we might collect
[Autoweb Customer] collects the following types of information.
- identification of your past and current use of [Autoweb Customer]
- technical information from your device to enable it to interact with our system
- information about your visits including page response time, pages visited, methods of browsing and similar
Direct Information Gathering
Some personal data may be processed by us when you have requested a product or service from us, whether as part of an agreement to purchase from us or merely requesting further contact from [Autoweb Customer].
Risk and Personal Data
Please note that sending information over the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your data while it is in transit. Any data you send is at your own risk. Please do not include sensitive personal data sent over the internet.
What we might collect
- contact information including postal address, email address and telephone contact details depending on the service you are requesting
- demographic information such as post code and location
- other information relevant to your existing car, vehicle and price preferences, driving licence status, availability
- interest in customer surveys and/or offers
Compilation of Data
In order for the vehicle search function on [Autoweb Customer] to operate, it is essential that we hold onto and connect data together to identify you and your preferences. This will include location data, your name and similar information, demographic information (for example the number of seats required), price or finance options.
We use a third party provider to recognise and populate postcode searches. Holding of this data including search histories is held in accordance with the privacy policies of these third parties. We use our reasonable endeavours to ensure that such policies will not diminish your rights. We do not link historical searches with your name.
We would be delighted if you would provide us with testimonials of your great experiences with us. We will review these before placing them on our marketing literature including our website and will only use your first name or an assumed name if you so wish. Should you wish for your testimonial to be removed please let us know using the contact details provided below.
We may also keep data to record the appreciation shown by a customer and their experiences. This is for internal purposes to enable us to check that we continue to provide an excellent service. If the record is initiated by us then we will anonymise it, using only first names.
Should the record be initiated as a result of a request or complaint by you then only essential information relating to the issue will be kept and in that event for no longer than  months unless you request otherwise. After  months we may retain information showing the fact of the request or complaint for training purposes but the information will be anonymised.
What we do with the information we gather
We take different types of information from you. Processing of anonymous data is either stored on your device and not accessed by us (e.g. cookies) or informs our statistical analysis on website and page use (e.g. traffic cookies, Google Analytics).
Processing of your personal information involves a number of different actions depending on why you have supplied us with information:
The information we hold about you may be stored outside the European Economic Area in order to process your data.
Initially your personal information is held securely by Autoweb. They would not normally view or use your personal information unless there is an issue with the use or security of holding your data.
In normal circumstances your information is held by (client name) for a maximum of  months or indefinitely if you have opted in or there is another basis for holding your data
We use anonymous tracking to,
- to customise our website according to your preferences and tastes
- to improve how we display information on our products and services on our website for your benefit and in keeping with your device
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
We require your personal information to handle our initial response with you. To improve your customer experience, and based on feedback we receive, we may vary from time to time the types of information we ask for. Common types of information we ask for might include:
Location Data: we take your location details in order to inform you where we are located closest to you and how you can travel to us. This will also inform us of where your local dealer is and enable us to further handle your personal information accordingly.
Vehicle search: the data we compile from you relating to your vehicle searches enable us to provide you with immediate search results automatically generated. Further compilation of your data is likely to be done by your local dealer when reviewing an expression of interest by you in order to make further suggestions. Such further searches maybe intuitive rather than automated.
Brochure Requests: we take your name and address to accurately send to you our latest sales brochure.
Test Drives: we take your name and address to enable you to come and test drive one of our cars. In addition we may require you to supply beforehand information related to your lawfully being allowed to test drive one of our cars. We may need to hold this information for an extended period for legal reasons in order to deal with any complaints that arise from the test drive or to supply to our insurance company. Details other than your name and address will be kept differently.
Once information is received by us it is stored centrally. We then use location data to supply your local dealer with a copy of your contact details and other information relevant to your request in order for them to be in contact with you.
The personal information enables our dealer:
- to operate the [Autoweb Customer] customer service and respond to your enquiry
- for internal record keeping, to follow up your enquiry at times convenient to you. This may mean that your local dealer i) attempts multiple contacts with you to fulfil your requests for contact ii) holds your data for up to  months to answer any follow up discussed with you
After a period of 3 months your local dealer will delete your personal information from its local records.
Supplying your data to third parties
Where we must share your data for the purposes of providing you with the services you have requested we will use reasonable endeavours to put in place contractual and practical systems to protect your personal information securely. Further we will notify them of any preferences you have indicated concerning use of your personal data.
- depending on your consent we may periodically use your contact details to send you promotional emails or texts about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the contact details which you have provided
- depending on your consent to contact you, using your contact details, for market research purposes
- depending on your consent, supply of your contact details to third parties for use with related marketing messages
Your data will be initially held with Autoweb for up to 30 days from date of enquiry and then deleted. Marketing data is accessible separately from other information we might have relating to you.
Request for Deletion of information
If you have provided your consent to receive future marketing messages then we will hold this information until you indicate that you no longer wish to receive messages from us.